TIROS began in a continous coverage of Earth’s weather in 1962, providing the first accurate weather forecasts based on coverage from space.
The Tiros2 craft-Television and Infrared Observation Satellite- was a spin stabilized spacecraft designed to examine experimental television mechanics and infrared equipment. Its composition was of:
- form of 18 sided right prism
- 107 cm in diameter and 56 cm high
- top and sides of spacecraft covered in approx. 9000 1- by 2-cm silicon solar cells
- two independent television camera subsystems for taking cloudcover pictures
- five channel medium resolution scanning radiometer
- two channel non-scanning low-resolution radiometer for measuring radiation from Earth and its atmosphere